From time to time a Linux user want's to get a more detailed view about his system: That will be CPU utilization, netowkr information, disks and IO etc. On Linux fortunately there are a lot of different tools available.
Following list are the tools I use most. Visit 20 Command Line Tools to Monitor Linux Performance to get a more detailed description for the tools mentioned below and a list of much more available tools.
- top - Linux Process monitoring
- vmstat - Virtuell memory statistics
- lsof - List of open files
- tcpdump - network packet analyzer
- netstat - Network statistics
- htop - Linux Process monitoring
- iotop - Monitor Linux disk I/O
- iostat - Input/output statistics
- IPTraf - Realtime network monitoring
- iftop - Network bandwidth monitoring
- nload - Network usage monitoring
- nuttcp - Network performance measurement
- atop - (CPU, disk IO, memory ...)